March 3rd, 2015
8:30 – 11:30, immediately preceding the 3rd Annual Active RVA Awards Luncheon
The Active RVA Awards Workshops
Working to make your school or workplace community more active? Want to learn about the strategies that make the biggest impact? Want to connect with other champions for active communities to share ideas? We’ve added Workshops to this year’s Active RVA Awards Program to equip leaders in our school and workplace communities to take their programs and initiatives to the next level.
If you’re working to make your community even more active or just beginning the work of introducing wellness to your school or workplace, the Active RVA Awards Workshops will provide connections, concrete resources, and access to leading professionals in the field.
Mark Fenton is a nationally-recognized public health expert. He’s a speaker, consultant, professor, and national leader highly in-demand to help accelerate community and regional efforts to invest in physical activity.
Mark will lead the Active RVA Awards Workshops, giving a plenary lecture and leading individual breakout sessions targeted to both school and workplace-based physical activity initiatives. He’ll feature the most effective strategies, programs, and policies that leaders around Richmond can use as well as provide a roadmap for how to get them in place.
- 8:30am - Registration at the Omni Richmond Hotel. Coffee and light breakfast provided for registered attendees.
- 9:00am - Welcome and Opening Remarks from Mark Fenton
- 9:30am - Breakout Session 1:
- Matching Programs with Policy & Environmental Changes in Workplaces - Mark Fenton will showcase initiatives that present opportunities for durable culture change within workplaces. These approaches, such as policy commitments, incentive-based strategies, and enhancements to physical space, can be combined with seasonal programs to support full-scale employee wellness.
- Lessons from Richmond School Programs - A panel of local non-profit and school professionals will review the programs that have stood head and shoulders above others in terms of their impact on young people and school staff.
- 10:15am – Coffee Break
- 10:30am - Breakout Session 2:
- Winning Strategies for School Communities - Mark Fenton will talk about the policies and initiatives that have produced the strongest results for active school communities nationwide and focus on how to adapt them for schools in Richmond.
- RVA Workplace Wellness - A panel of local experts will discuss how they have implemented programs and strategies that have made their companies leaders in workplace wellness. Topics to include creating and sustaining wellness programs and activity challenges, engaging employees at multiple sites and working multiple shifts, and utilizing the physical space within an office or workplace to ramp up employee wellness.
- 11:15am - Putting Strategies Into Play. Mark Fenton will lead a wrap up session to answer participants’ questions and focus on how leaders around Richmond can deploy the featured strategies successfully in their communities.
- 11:45am – End. Registration for the Active RVA Awards Luncheon will begin at the rise of the Workshops.